Decorating is all about letting your personality shine through. To help you get started, here are some tips, tricks & inspiration for designing any room.
THE IMPORTANCE OF YOUR COLOR SELECTION
The colors you choose for your home and how you decide to use them is key in creating an atmosphere you feel comfortable in.
- Reds, oranges & yellows
- Associated with excitement, happiness & energy
- Great for use in active areas like the kitchen or dining room
- Blues, greens & purples
- Perceived as tranquil, serene & often associated with nature
- Use in a bedroom or quiet living area for a calm & soothing environment
Color is all about personal preference and color schemes can act as helpful guides to achieving a well-coordinated space that’s pleasing to the eye.
- Colors like these, such as red and orange or blue and green, work well together because they are so closely related.
TRICK: Match the intensity (paleness or darkness) of each hue for a striking look.
- The use of one color in varying shades of light and dark.
TRICK: Avoid becoming too matchy-matchy by using the monochromatic concept in
small details of a room, such as wall art or decorative pillows.
- Harmonious in appearance, these colors sit directly across from one another on
the color wheel & visually work well together, such as yellow & purple.
Quick Color Tricks
Here are a few color tricks you can use when choosing everything you need for your home.
The 60-30-10 Rule:
This rule of interior design breaks down colors by percentage.
Approximately 60 percent of a space should be in a dominant shade,
followed by a secondary color at 30 percent and an accent color at 10 percent.
Dark to Light:
To make a room feel cohesive and well balanced, try using darker decor closer to the ground and gradually get lighter as you reach the ceiling. This natural progression of color creates a harmonious look every time & makes a room feel larger.
Whether it’s an accent table, chair or table lamp, black pieces have the power to enhance any color scheme.
What’s Your Style?
Your furniture should reflect your character & unique sense of style.
Unvarnished surfaces show off warmth & unique graining of the wood. Use industrial materials like metal for a bit of cool contrast where it’s needed. Incorporate geometric patterns & clean lines to keep the look fresh & light.
Aged finishes, elegant details and a soft, muted color palette make up the look for this refined yet casually
Bump up the glamour factor with mirrored accent pieces and bedroom furniture that add shine & an element of sophistication. Mirrored surfaces capture light’s luster and act as instant mood lighting!
Welcome Patterns & Prints
- Mix it up! There’s no rule that says furniture has to be one solid color.
- Choosing upholstered pieces in printed fabrics is one way to liven up a space
and add dimension.
The Finishing Touches
- Once you’ve figured out the basics of home design, the real fun begins in choosing home decor.
- Add accent shelves or tables with a vibrant vase for a fresh pop of color.
- Cover empty wall space and create balance with wall art that shows off your personal style.
- Turn your memories into stylish room accents by putting photos of family & friends in chic & unique picture frames.
- Pick one piece in the room that is special for you and incorporate its colors in fabrics & other
accessories throughout the room.